24 August 2006

Jenks on Light Bulbs - trying our best!

Did you know that in the UK Philips energy saving light bulbs are now subsidised? So it's a good time to change over energy saving light bulbs. The stick type you can get for 99p and the warmwhite globe type cost £2.80 - have a look at Lamps2udirect .

Lamps2udirect have lots of other types of energy saving replacement light bulbs including ones to replace golf ball bulbs, spots and there's even a dimmable sort that works with a regular switch. I've still had no luck replacing GU10 bulbs though and the golf ball replacements have a light that is not quite as warm as incandescent bulbs. The spots are good and you can get quite small energy saving bulbs now. If you need more convincing about changing bulbs take a look at ban-the-bulb . We placed an order for a range of energy saving bulbs and we're trying them in different places around our house. At this stage I can't see us changing all our incandescent bulbs but we're trying. If you have any suggestions of good replacement bulbs then let me know.

Energy saving lights are ideal for outside lights but please endeavour to purchase lighting that direct light downwards. A sky full of stars is both beautiful and awe inspiring - the natural world does not end at the horizon, it extends high above us. We really need to save the night sky for future generations. Have a look at the International Dark-Sky website for further inspiration. If you're passionate about nature and conservation, don't forget the stars above you.

I say this with a tinge of guilt - I still need to change our front light. With all the building work we are planning I've not got round to changing it , but I do keep it off. I suppose this saves energy but I could do this better with a PIR (Passive Infra-Red) sensor ... but I really must change it soon after our garage work is done and fit a PIR sensor.

More on energy saving in later posts ...

Sorry but there was a big chunk missing from my earlier post - must be Gremlins in my Blog!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah now, this about dimmers is mighty interesting - we've got gruesome light fittings in our lounge which are, at present, unable to be moved due to the buggered nature of the ceiling. So, this might be the solution for the time being...

Jenks said...

They're okay, have a look at http://www.lamps2udirect.com/pages/fullProd.php/Megaman-Dors-Dimming-Energy-Saver/681

They are fairly pricey at £10. They don't dim quite as well as they show on the Dors website and they are a bit brighter than we expected at the lowest light level. If you want I shall try taking a few photos on a fixed exposure but I'm not sure that it will work too well. The bulb has quite a good finish and, as energy savers go, the light is fairly warm in colour.

We are looking to purchase another - we have one in the landing outside our children's rooms. The light fitting it’s housed in is clear glass and the bulb is visible so I suppose this shows how happy we are with the finish of the bulb. I'm a bit concerned that it might not be quite the right style for a lounge though. Hope this helps.

Can't believe I've written so much on a light bulb!

Creative Commons License