07 September 2005

Perhaps it should be 'Tom, Richard and Harry'

Two of my sons catch the train to and from school. Last night round the dinner table we were chatting about how school was, who their new teachers were, new subjects etc., when we arrived at the subject of the journey to school by train. My middle son, who has just started school, was confused about which Harry from my eldest's class was on the train. Anyway, the talk seemed to include lots of Harrys and lots of Toms and so my mind conjured up the image of 'Tom, Dick and Harry' sitting in a row on the train. So, to complete my mental image I asked my eldest son "Have you got a Dick?".

I realised when I'd said it. Oh dear! Stunned silence. Then laughter. Yes I did feel a bit silly - maybe it's age. I don't think my seven year old quite got it - my 12 year old son did though!

It was also one of those moments when my eldest sons glinting eyes spoke of the young man he was becoming and the little lapse was indicative of the forty-something that I am. It was good to see my eldest son growing up but it was also good to see my youngest was innocent enough to not get the joke - I still felt a bit silly, that never feels very good!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very funny keith, I enjoyed the read!
Tracey xx

Creative Commons License