13 September 2006

Another thing I do ...

I've never actually mentioned this on my blog before but I'm a Cub Scout Leader, yep, Jenks is an Akela! I've always been a touch reluctant to divulge this on my blog but I have a suspicion that most people that venture here know who I am in the non-blog world. I suppose I fear been stereotyped, I don't think I'm a stereotypical Cub Leader but that's difficult to judge (well, if I wasn't judged I will be now - own goal Jenks!).

Anyway, I only did 6 months of Scouting as a child. I got involved as an adult (so they say) when I 'helped' out at a Cub camp about six years ago ... Since then I've been a Pack Assistant, member of the Group Executive, Assistant Cub Scout Leader, Assistant Group Scout Leader, Group Scout Leader and now Akela. Now those titles probably mean very little to you non-Scouting folk as they meant little to me six years ago, what is interesting is would you employ somebody who has jumped jobs so many times (all in the same group I might add). I think they should fire me ... please!

Only kidding ;-) It's actually very rewarding and quite a stress reliever, or maybe it's more of a stress 'replacer' - working on the principle that a change (in stress) is as good as a holiday. Guess it's a good thing I'm not a psycho therapist or councillor ... I just work with kids. Gulp!

But don't worry, I'm okay - trust me. The kids have a great time (I don't think they come across people like me at school); if you don't believe me take a look at our programme for this term http://www.cookhamscouts.org/rs_programme - good hey? The product (I must admit) of all my assistants but I do try to pass it off as my own work - at least I have conscience.

So it's Cubs tonight - sigh! They should just fire me, really they should.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, I think you have mentioned it. I think you put a link early on to your "other blog".

I used to be in the Brownies and Girl Guides. Not sure how I feel about the Baden-Powells (nice that they had the same birthday though), but it did teach me some useful stuff. I suspect Health and Safety and Political Correctness has put a stop to most of it these days though.

Anonymous said...

Are you ok Jenks? Or just v.busy?

Jenks said...

Hello Clarice

Very busy, busy, busy ... lot's of things going on but I will be back. I think you also know about my Mum's treatment and my eldest is having a small operation next week. That together with a loft conversion. Thanks for your concern. Jenks

PS We're all very excited in our family - we're getting a puupy on Sunday :-)

Anonymous said...

Phew. Well, I shall be thinking of you, and look forward to hearing about the puppy.
Much love
C

Anonymous said...

Just checking in following your popping up chez moi; I see from your exchange with Clarice that you've not fallen off the earth, so won't pester you with the same question!

Good luck with the operation/puppy/treatment, btw - hope all goes well.

Creative Commons License