20 July 2005

Do we have bad teenagers or poor memories?

I think that teenagers get a really bad press.  Child curfew zones are an example of society’s paranoia with groups of teenagers.  I can assure you that people have been feeling intimidated by groups of teenagers for years but should that mean that we place a curfew on them.  We could place curfews on village pubs because strangers might feel intimidated and we might save some fights.  We can also prevent over zealous fans for any sport, political party, share holders, rights group or religion from congregating -  I’m sure we would cut crime.  In fact why not just have a police state, crime would be low.  

 

No, let’s just pick on the youngsters because we feel ‘intimidated’ by them.  And we all know that teenagers are violent and out to get us!  I’m sorry but my experience from Scouts is that teenagers are pretty much the same as when I was young, and I was pretty much the same as my Dad’s era and so on and so on.  So was it better in ‘our day’ or do we suffer from bad memories – and do our young people suffer from bad media coverage.  Well do Liberty and 15 year old ‘W’ who won a High Court challenging child curfew zones (see http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4699095.stm).

 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This absolutly true! This has helped alot in my research. Thanks!

Creative Commons License