10 July 2005

The Importance of a Cycle Helmet

Today my 12 year old son went cycling with some friends. One of his friends was knocked off his bicycle by a car going about 10mph. He is okay but he did hit the back of his cycle helmet as he fell and cracked it. I wouldn't like to think what would have happened had he not been wearing a cycle helmet.

I am the Group Scout Leader in our local Scout Group and I often have to tell young people that they need to wear a helmet to, from and during any Scouting event whilst cycling. This is one of the rules in Scouting in the UK and as a young person is covered by Scouting insurance from the time they leave home to the time they arrive back home then they must wear a cycle helmet when cycling.

But, of course, everybody knows that adults heads are much stronger that children’s heads! That an adults head is made of much, much stronger bone and their brains will just bounce back :-) Unfortunately, I ended up with a head a bit like a child's so I wear a helmet.

I never wore a helmet when I was a child but then nobody wore helmets. You never meet any adults who fell off and hurt their heads when they were children but sadly that is because those that did...

But I shall climb down off my soapbox.

No comments:

Creative Commons License