19 June 2015

#Juneathon Day 18 - lots of rowers, a hot and humid day and my longest run ever

I'm at the peak of my training for the Race to the Stones ultra so I thought I'd best get my longest run completed as this weekend is pretty full.  I set off along the Thames path towards Henley with legs that really felt very heavy after yesterday's gym session (see yesterday's post). I really didn't think I would get that far especially in the heat and humidity but decided to carried on anyway.

Loads of rowers practicing at Henley in preparation for the Henley Royal Regatta, consequently I was continually dodging rowing coaches on their bikes keeping up with their crews.  You also have to keep a look out for boats suddenly emerging across your path as they are maneuvered onto the river.  I felt a little self conscious, this middle aged man trudging along amidst all the athletes, some with national insignia on their clothing, not that self conscious though :-)

Ran past Shiplake (and Shiplake college) and was about a mile away from Sonning I think.  I turned around and started running back.  I could tell that I was going to run out of water and so was looking for somewhere to fill up my water bottles.  Eventually spotted a guy I know who was taking launching his rowing boat onto the river.  He suggested I fill up at Hurley lock and described where there was a tap.  

I found the tap! It was so good to have fresh cold water on such a hot day.  Completely refreshed I finished off my run, just over 33 miles which is my longest run ever!  I'm really not sure how I'm going to run another 30 miles though!!! Panic!

So that was my Juneathon day.

No comments:

Creative Commons License