09 January 2016

#Janathon Day 8 - more sweat, headphones, the HAL 9000 and a dirty kitchen floor

On the subject of sweating (from yesterday) I have an ability of trashing headphones.  For a while I used to use Sennheiser headphones something like these but older (these are probably better now).
They have a two year guarantee and at one point I had two pairs in for repair (they were eventually replaced) and I was wearing a third pair. For a while I had at least one pair in for repair or waiting to be sent in.

Then I splashed out and bought these wireless JayBird BlueBuds:


They are very good but they seal up your ears so they are not quite as safe as the Sennheiser which allow you to hear a bit when running outside.  Also, as I sweat a little, on a long run your ears start to fill up, then the ear pieces start to fall out your ears, and the sound goes, and the bits fall off.  I still use these in the gym and a couple of nights ago I took them out and the ear bit was left in my ear, without going into too much detail, once they were cleaned the don't fall part quite as quickly but I have considered gluing the pieces on! Anyway, I still use them in the gym. But then I found these:
Black Blues 2 bluetooth bone conduction headphones

These are the AfterShokz Bluez 2, wireless again but this time they don't go in the ear.  Instead they use bone conduction which I think means there is a little more sound spill.  I have this suspicion that when my mouth is open it acts a bit like a loudspeaker but I have no proof of this, it's just a fear I have.  But they are very good. You can hear everything around you, your ears are open to the world. However, you can only forward to songs on a playlist, you can't go back.  That's a touch frustrating when you've found that song that will power you on when you're flagging (happens a bit too often to me) and you just need to hear it again.

There is (was) another problem and I broke them (sigh).  Yes, despite a 'nanotechnology coating and watertight rubber gaskets [to] repel sweat and moisture' I broke them, twice to be precise. My sweat must be like acid, a bit like the alien in 'Alien'.  I corroded my way through two of these.  Each time my music and/or the disembodied voice (Audrey's evidently) started breaking up like the HAL 9000 in '2001: A Space Odyssey' which is disconcerting when you're running and disrupts your pacing.

I found I could dry them out for a while but eventually they both died, sigh!


BUT, but AfterShokz were very good and after the final pair failed they replaced them with these:



... well I know they look the same but these are the AfterShokz Bluez 2S.  What's the difference I hear you say? Well I think it is all in the 'S', 'S' for Sweatproof maybe? I don't know but they certainly seem to be Jenks's Alien acid type of sweat resistant ... well so far anyway. These are moisture resistant to IP55 to be exact! ? They seem to be doing very well :-)

But it is Janathon and I did go for run.  I grabbed a small period when the sun came out and before my conference call and squeezed in a 3.5 mile run and puffed my way back into the conference call in sweaty running gear.  However, I do feel a bit of a hypocrite as in the rush of getting out I forgot to put on suntan lotion :-s  And that after yesterday's post :-(

Fleet enjoyed the run though, but he didn't get a swim so now the kitchen floor is dirty and has a layer of earth, mud, dust and/or other outdoor material?

My Janathon total is now 43 miles and Fleet's is 18.5 miles.

No comments:

Creative Commons License