10 January 2015

#Janathon Day 9 - Warning: more stats and high level running geekiness

I didn't have much time for exercise today just a quick trip to the gym for just under an hour.  My treadmill session is often starts off as a warm up session but ends up being a speed or interval session.

Tonight I just increased my pace and cadence slightly over about 12 minutes or so.  I started recording my session a little way in. My mileage was 1.39 miles making my Janathon running total is 38.76 miles.

Start of high level running geek section >>
My watch says my VO2 max has increased to 48. It is also giving me race predictions of 3:27:31 for a marathon and 1:39:48 for a half marathon!!  It's either way out or I'm doing something very wrong as my PB for a half marathon is 1:47:49 and for marathon is 4:10:57.  I didn't think I fuelled that well for the marathon but the half felt like I was running reasonably. 

What surprises me is that my VO2 max estimation is increasing, when I first started using the watch I was at a VO2 max of 42 and now it's 48.  However, I am recovering after flu and a chest infection so I wouldn't be surprised if this will improve as my fitness was pretty good before I fell sick. I even lowered my maximum heart rate to 180bpm as I have recorded higher than this but I thought if I lowered it the estimates might appear more accurate.  I don't think resting heart rate is used, I'm at about 47bpm and drop down to about 42bpm after training (i.e. before a marathon). So the estimate is either very wrong or I'm doing something wrong or ... I don't know.  Any thoughts?
Still fun and quite motivating though.
<< End of of high level running geek section

In other news my eldest son goes back to university tomorrow :-(

No comments:

Creative Commons License