20 June 2011

Day 19 of Juneathon - spoilt on Father's Day, stinging nettles, brambles and Boot's micropore surgical tape works

Spoilt Dad yesterday with three very appropriate cards (one handmade), two books, one polo shirt, a box of chocolates, an 'Old Fart' tankard and a homemade cake ... thanks sons :-)

Went for a gentle run of four miles with my wife and our dog in the morning. Tried the Boots micropore surgical tape on my nipples (see last two posts), seemed promising.

Later I went for, what  was intended to be, a fourteen mile run on a new route.  However, part of the trail was a bit too overgrown and consequently I battled through brambles and stinging nettles.  This made for slow progress and sapped my energy.  Eventually I made it out of the jungle of brambles etc, ran along a path which seemed to disappear!  How do paths disappear that don't lead anywhere?  I had not intention of running along the busy section of road and what was left of the path just wasn't very runnable so I turned round, bypassed the overgrown section (I'd had enough battles for one day) and found another route home thorugh a different village.  By this time I was really quite fatigued, I don't think I'd eaten enough and I think that yesterday I might have even missed lunch! I arrived home and was met by a few comments from my family concerning my bloodied limbs.  I won't try that specfic route again in summer but I did spot a very interesting trail across the fields that had no visible brambles or stinging nettles. Anyway, later I had a very pleasant barbecue and a nice glass of red wine ... but only a glass as I can't always drink much after a long run.

The Boots micropore surgical tape worked well, my nipples are happy and came off relatively easily in the shower :-)   I just need a solution for the stinging nettles and brambles now :-( 

So my second run was only 10 miles-ish, but was a fairly difficult 10 miles-ish.  This makes my Juneathon about 137 miles and other than the tiredness, scratches and rash from the stinging nettles, my body feels fine :-)

Also, Fleet's Juneathon mileage is 11.5 miles and my wife's is 24.5 miles.

3 comments:

Jo365 said...

"my nipples are happy and came off relatively easily in the shower" My goodness that sounds terrible, :o) But it did make me laugh out loud! Inspiring mileage. Jox

Anonymous said...

Good heavens, your escapades are fraught with hardship, aren't they? Well, except for raking in the loot for Father's Day :-)

Impressive running total. You hardly need encouragement! My monthly total is better in the company of your wife & dog. Go, wife & dog!

Kieron Chapman said...

Glad it works for you! Top mileage by the way, you've destroyed my Janathon total already and it looks like you're gonna beat yours too!

Creative Commons License