23 June 2011

Day 22 of Juneathon - sticky, messy Cubs cooking over fires and choosing a DJ that wasn't for my son

Went to Windsor to Moss and Brothers with my eldest son in the afternoon to hire a Dinner Suit for his Leavers' Ball, ended up purchasing a slim fit suit!  After all the stress of exams it was good to do something more relaxing and enjoyable, he has one more exam left next week and then that's it.

After we returned home I went for a run of about 8 miles.  I've not really had enough sleep recently and I think that the lack of sleep is not helping my running, I definitely felt a bit tired.

After my run I came home, got ready for Cubs and identified one of our 'many' bikes that might be the correct size for a Cub.  Loaded the bike into my car and headed down to the field where we meet.
The bicycle was the correct size so we had a happy Cub who can now participate in the cycle ride we're doing next week.  The Cubs made fires and did some simple backwoods cooking, they are really good bunch of kids and it seemed they had lots of fun.  They baked dough spiralled on sticks and toasted marshmallows over their fires, they also managed to scatter quite a bit of flour over themselves.  A few of the Cubs managed to get quite a bit of melted marshmallow over themselves too - marshmallow, flour and grass ... a sticky, messy combination. 

When we were baking the dough sticks I mentioned to one of the kids that I baked bread every day. He looked up at me and asked if that was what I did for a job, I said no but that it was bread for our family and that we got through over a loaf a day. He looked puzzled and said, 'If you bake bread who earns the money?'

Later I 'unexpectedly' closed the Cub meeting, I used to do this every Cub evening but that was a few years ago, I just about remembered what to do although there were a few confused murmurings from the Cubs afterwards.  Most importantly I enjoyed the evening and I was quite relaxed when a Cub's grandmother accidentally forgot to pick up her grandson after becoming absorbed in the Wimbledon Highlights ... life is too short besides I think we've forgotten to pick up kids before.

But back to the running, my Juneathon total is now 153 miles - this is about the distance I ran in the first week and a half of Janathon.  However, unlike Janathon, besides a bit of tiredness, my body is doing fine ... so running wise, Juneathon should just slip into July :-)

1 comment:

auswomble said...

good to hear you're holding up, was feeling for you in Jan. Keep it up mate!

Creative Commons License