04 June 2011

Day 3 of Juneathon - a dead swan, two cuckoos and a water bottle refill

First run of the day was with my wife.  Nice easy run of 4.3 miles pushing her total up to 11 miles, not bad for a beginner. 

Spotted a fairly large dead swan in a stream.  It was obscured by foliage and we thought it was a rock at first. When we got home I thought I better call somebody about, I wasn't sure if it would be a health hazard to other animals, particularly the cattle that graze in the adjacent field.  So I called our local council with coordinates ready ... waited and waited in a queue ... eventually spoke to somebody who told me to call DEFRA.  Spoke to DEFRA, they took the details (but not my coordinates that I had ready) and they said that I really should tell the Local Environmental Officer at the council!!! SO I phoned the council again, was held in a queue again and thought 'stuff this' and hung up. 

Instead I called a local farmer and had a nice chat.  He wasn't that concerned but was very pleasant.  He did suggest I could try pull out the carcass if I wanted although he didn't think it was that necessary.  I must say that I'm a little worried that it might fall apart, how do you grab it properly?  It's quite big ... I shall have to see.  Maybe I should take some rubber gloves - but that's going to look a little odd, suspicious even!

Talking of our feathered friends, we've heard a couple of cuckoos on our runs - very special :-)

My afternoon run (not that I plan to do two runs a day) included some hills. It was quite hot and I took the wrong water bottle, too small it was.  So I stopped off at one of the houses along the way to ask if they wouldn't mind filling my water bottle, they kindly agreed :-)  Sweat was pouring off me, I was in my trendy running gear, sunglasses, running shoes, GPS watch - after she had filled my water bottle (a hand held one with a hole in the middle), she asked me if I was jogging?  I did hesitate before answering, I was wondering what I wasn't doing doing that didn't look like I was running, maybe I just look too old, my grey hair perhaps?  Maybe she was saying indirectly that I shouldn't be running ... oh well!  That's not going to happen :-) 

So I eventually got home - tired, hot, sweaty and happy. Changed into my dinner suit and went to a black tie gala evening, good fun.

My afternoon run was 10 miles making my Juneathon total 30 miles.  Easy, short run today (i.e. day 4).

No comments:

Creative Commons License