05 June 2011

Day 4 of Juneathon - Garmin's beeping off on hills and a squeezed run

Squeezed in a 3 mile easy run with my wife. Her Juneathon total is now 14 miles although she will not be running every day.

For me having a nice easy three miles after the 14 miles the day before was just the thing to do.  I need to fit in a few more hill runs during Juneathon, but hopefully choose cooler days!

But fitting this run in was a real squeeze. My youngest son had another performance in the evening that we went to and we had to drop my middle son off at the stables, which left a slot in between when we could go for a run, prepare food and get ready ... we did it, just!

I'm starting to help out again at Cubs on Wednesday.  A few years ago I was a Cub leader and stepped back when work/home commitments became too much.  I'm now tentatively returning on the understanding that I won't be able to do the preparation - I'd be happy not to be in uniform but that might not be practical in the long term.  The Cub evenings will be good fun and I always find that I'm totally destressed afterwards. I've decided that I will have to run to the field where we meet during the summer to fit in my Juneathon run that day.

It's probably apparent that I'm not running crazy miles this time. I'm running the Royal Parks Half Marathon this year and I would really like to improve on my PB.  This, of course, means doing some interval training! I did a session last week and it was hard going, I crawled home.  My hill running has not been that great either so I really need to put a bit of work in these areas.

Talking of hill running, I've recently enabled the auto pause on my Garmin that pauses my mileage below a certain speed.  The other day when I was going up a steep hill, battling against gravity, in the heat ... bleep! My watch goes on pause!!

'What!' I think. ' This is really hard!!'  So I run a bit faster to make the thing start adding my most valuable metres ... but then I run too fast.  As you can imagine this does not help with pacing and I realise that it adds another level of stress that I don't need on an already difficult section of hill.  I need to forget my Garmin on hills ... but that's really hard to do during Juneathon.  Sigh, I really need to forget my Garmin!

Juneathon mileage is now about 33 miles ... and this post is longer than I was expecting!

2 comments:

Cakey said...

You and your wife both have very impressive Juneathon totals so far!

JogBlog said...

You may not be doing crazy miles but you've done 33 so far which sounds pretty crazy to me!

I'm also doing Royal Parks Half, so see you there.

Creative Commons License