16 January 2011

Another exciting episode ...



Still can't run so no photos at the moment as I'm trying to keep off my feet whichn means I'm not even walking very much.  I'm doing a family newsletter at the moment and I came across this photo which is from the Royal Parks Half Marathon, sigh, a reminder of when I could run.  I'll be back running soon though :-) Adds a bit of colour to my post.
So it was back down the gym today so this is going to be really interesting.

I used the rope pull (grappler) for longer today and it was really hard work, my shoulders felt like they were going to drop off.  Like so many exercises there is a probably an easier way of using this piece of equipment but I do find I get maximum benefit by extending my arms up as you would for swimming, not that I would extend my arms 'up' when I'm swimming, that would be 'horizontal',  unless I'm drowning  of course.  Well ther you are, the Grappler is also good in case you are drowning and you need to extend your arms up to wave for help. 


This is the Grappler - the machine not the guy!
As I said, I started with the grappler today so my shoulders were quite tired very tired wasted.  I then did some weights but I have to admit that I couldn't manage all three sets on the shoulder press so I wimped out! 

My main emphasis is trying to build my core strength.  I had forgotten to add that I had done 20 reverse curls yesterday.  I have always found this exercise hard going which probably means it's working.  My wife seems to find it easier, probably my heavier legs, who knows?  As a word of caution, don't do core or abs exercises when you have gas. Yes I am trying to spice up my blog on my gym trip.

When I was extended out doing a plank I (perhaps a little bit smugly) thought that I don't see many people doing this exercise.  I turn round and there's a young lady doing the same thing and possibly not straining as much! 

I Achilles tendon feels better but it is still a little swollen so I shall wait a bit longer.

My workout today:
3 sets of 20 tri-cep press
3 x 3 minutes on grappler (rope pull)
3 sets of 12 lat pull-downs
1 sets of 11 shoulder press
20 x oblique crunch each side
25 x crunch
25 x reverse curl
3 x 1 minute plank (including single leg and single leg abduction variations) 
2 x 1 minute side plank (one each side)

Janathon mileage still 140 miles.

3 comments:

auswomble said...

if you're feeling frisky and want to freak out fellow gym-goers you can do some standing resistance work with a rowing machine. Great exercise, but it does confuse people!

Chris said...

nice guy, I mean, machine. now I have to google standing resistance with a rowing machine....

Jenks said...

auswomble: Hee, hee that would get some odd looks :-)

Chris: :-)

Creative Commons License