24 January 2011

Briefly, I fly

Briefly, I fly

The foot falls and another step forward,
Another step that was to be, that is and another step that will be
And in-between,
In-between I fly
Briefly, I really do fly.
I am me, in control of the next step.
That will be mine to take,
And fly again I shall,
Me, running, me.

Me, but not selfish indifference,
But more free,
The foot falls again and another step forward,
And pain, anguish somehow are left a little behind.
A little of what troubled, sweats away with each footfall,
My steps that I take,
Me in control, the worries that are not so great,
And in-between I fly,
Briefly, I really do fly.

My hopes, my future, my heart,
Pumps forward, my legs push back,
Taking my eyes to the future,
As one life holds all that I am,
In me,
That I was,
That I am right now.
The foot falls once more and another step is done,
And I delight in knowing,
That all will be better,
That I am alive,
Here, now, my body tells me,
My spirit will soar,
I know it, I feel it,
I am doing what I can do now,
Running,
And,
Briefly ...
Oh so briefly ...
I really do fly.

*******************
A bit of a hard day today, just a few different things I'd rather not talk about.  I wrote this poem in a late afternoon coffee break - I felt much better afterwards.  Helped me complete my work.

Gym again tonight with my wife but just for half an hour.  Ran 3 miles at about 7mph and then did a few minutes on the cross trainer.  Achilles tendon isn't right, it's a little sore so no long mileage for a while I expect.

Met my swimming instructor tonight as I was doing training on Monday nights last year.  I've committed to swimming as from next term.  She's really pleasant and very good, a gold medallist Paralympian but very modest.

Janathon total is about 153 miles.

2 comments:

auswomble said...

cathartic, good stuff. Glad you're back getting a few miles in, take it easy, you'll be back

Unknown said...

What a wonderful poem. I love the sentiment in it; it's so true... I think you've managed to capture the spirit of running there... nice :-)

Creative Commons License