15 January 2011

Core variations

Good workout again in the gym.  I used the grappler more today as it certainly gets the heart beating.  I reach for the rope above my head and keep my body fairly straight to try to mimic front crawl. There's a mirror in front of me so I can work on staying symmetrical and straight.  I think it will help my stroke but it's hard work!

I also added some variations on my core exercises without pushing too hard of course.

It was good but I really want to get back to running.  I will see how my Achilles tendon and knee feel like tomorrow but I might go for a 'short' jog with my wife.  I must be disciplined and keep it short and easy!

Thanks for all the encouragement, it really helps.

Exercises I did today:

3 sets of 20 tri-cep press
3 x 2 minutes on grappler (rope pull)
3 sets of 12 lat pull-downs
3 sets of 12 shoulder press
20 x oblique crunch each side
20 x crunch
3 x 1 minute plank (including single leg and single leg abduction variations) 
2 x 45s side plank

Janathon mileage is still 140 miles but my overall fitness is improving :-)

3 comments:

Chris said...

sounds like a grand day. i went food shopping rather than the gym, since I skipped lifting yesterday. I was pleased to be able to lift heavy packages easily.

Erin Conley said...

Nice work! I've been doing a lot of cross-training myself, especially in regards to the upper body and core. It's amazing how quickly you can get stronger in these areas. Two months ago, I couldn't manage ten full push-ups or 100 crunches in a row. Now, I can do that and more...which is saying something at my age!

I'm glad to hear you are doing well. Just remember to take it easy as you work your way back into running. I know that YOU know that, but if you love running as much as I do, you know it can be hard to hold back when you're returning from injury. Take care!

Jenks said...

Chris: I'm not very fond of food shopping, it seems to sap all strength out of me - harder than a workout!

Erin C.: 100 crunches sounds very good. I will try to return to running slowly, it's not easy though. Thanks Erin.

Creative Commons License