29 January 2011

Powerplates induction, more gym and freezable vegetarian meal suggestions please

Firstly a request.  I've got the impression that quite a few Janathon participants are vegetarian.  We are looking for recipe recommendations that:
Are freezable in small portions.
Good for feeding hungry teenagers.
Don't use meat replacements.

Powerplates Induction
As I mentioned before, my youngest son and I had Powerplates induction.  Definitely going to add Powerplates to my exercise routine. It's early days but I think I found that the vibration made some exercises a little easier as it had a kind of relaxing effect.  Very good for stretching and massage too.  So I recommend it but I shall have to see the long term benefits. 

My youngest son loved the Powerplates.  I can see that the Powerplates in the gym will be used a little more often in the future ;-)

As I said before, my youngest son had a gym exercise program written for him today.  He is very much into the performing arts and does quite a lot of dancing.  After an audition, he recently became a member of a Street Dance group and he is now keen to develop his strength, balance, aerobic fitness and agility.  I think the gym instructor was quite surprised at preparing a program for a 13 year old with a target sport of dance!  Anyway, my son came home very motivated and wants to attend the gym three times a week! A good result.

Middle son and my wife came to  the gym too.  I'm sure my eldest son would have come along as well but he works on Saturdays. My eldest son is 18 and his Saturday job is Playworker at a local playground/centre for children with special needs and disabilities.  I'm tremendously proud of what he does.  He has responsibility for a child in the morning and another in the afternoon - the child may have any disability or special need. I think I would find this demanding and the fact that he does this as an 18 year old Sixth Former is quite remarkable.  But it's not just a job, you can see that he gets a great deal of satisfaction out of making small steps of progress. I am very, very proud ;-)

I'm probably boring you so to round off the boredom my exercise today was a real mixed bag:

First half an hour was an induction to the Powerplates:

I didn't count how many we did of each exercise, but the exercises included.
press ups
crunches
tricep dips
squats
lunges
30 sec plank
30 sec side plank
etc etc for half an hour

After this I spent about 45 minutes going on other gym equipment:
3 x 20 leg extension
3 x 20 leg curl
3 x 20 hip abductor (outer)
3 x 20 hip abductor (inner)
3 x 15 shoulder press
3 x 15 lat pull down
3 x 15 bicep curl

No aerobic activity as I still have a bit of a dry cough, I'm sure I'm not contagious though.
Finally, the last 15 minutes we all went back to the Powerplates and ...

1 minute side plank each side
Stretching and massage (which was very good).
Quite a bit of laughter too.

That was my Janathon exercise today - I'm feeling quite pleased :-)

4 comments:

kathryn said...

A lot of Indian food is freezable - things like dal, chickpea curry, lentil curries - really good balance of nutrients, plenty of protein, low GI carbs, filling, cheap and eminently freezeable.

I also make lots of soups - again things like lentil & spinach soup; chickpea and tomato, etc.

These sweet potato and black bean burritos are beaut and can be frozen: http://aweebitofcooking.co.uk/2008/05/13/black-bean-and-sweet-potato-burrito/ Also take a look at 101 Cookbooks: http://www.101cookbooks.com/ all vegetarian, lots of really good freezeable food. Some of the recipes are a bit long-winded, but there are also some quicker and easier meals.

Good work on the Janathon exercise as well.

JogBlog said...

Have you seen my veggie blog at <a href="http://www.planetveggie.co.uk>Planet Veggie</a>

Loads of recipes on there and I only post ones I like. I freeze everything, too.

Anonymous said...

What nice, creative and enterprising sons you have! Great to read all this. I'm not much cop with veg recipes though. Will think about it and get back to you, or better still will write a post with one back at runtezza blog (good to have some subject matter!).JogBlog writes a veg recipe blog linked off her Janathon one, but you may have already seen that.

Anonymous said...

Veg recipe suggestion here: http://runtezza.wordpress.com/2011/01/31/vegetarian-recipe-4-u/

Creative Commons License