04 January 2011

What does a woodpecker and a mobile phone have in common?


Today I did a run in the morning with my dog.  Set off to the sound of  the dawn chorus and a misty sunrise.  I even heard a woodpecker tapping away on an old tree.  The sound was very familiar and reminded me of something else, I thought and thought and then realised what the woodpecker's taps sounded like - my eldest son (he's 18) texting on his mobile phone!  His thumb goes in little bursts as he selects each letter (unlike me, he doesn't use predictive text).

Morning run went well although I often find running with my dog a little more tiring.  I'm not sure why this is the case as he is off the lead most of the time?  Here's a photo from this morning ...



Second run I squeezed into a late lunch.  I set off a long compilation on my computer (they can take hours) and then headed for road.  I was feeling fine after four miles and was tempted to go a little further before turning around but I didn't. 

But I was hungry! All these calories I'm burning have made me quite hungry at the end of some of my runs.

My morning run was 6 miles and my afternoon run was 8.3 miles so I did 14.3 miles today.  I think my dog should be logging his miles too :-)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow... that's some mileage in one day... well done. I love running with my dog, only problem is she tends to spend more time sniffing than running and I end up running twice as far having to go back for her!

auswomble said...

some good numbers there. My dog will retrieve all day, will walk or swim all day but if I try to run with him he sort of looks at me as if I'm mad. Running? Just running?

Jenks said...

Maggiee: Thanks. My dog is fine on trails but he hates tarmac. H has got better but I used to have to almost pull him along - maybe his pads are tougher.

Auswomble: One of the first times I went running with my dog he just stopped abot a mile down the trail and looked at me. I carried on running as he normally just catches me up ... I run ... no dog. I look round, he waits for me to see him and then turns round and heads off home. I ended up sprinting after him to the bemusement of quite a few walkers. Obviously it was a bad day fo rhim.

Creative Commons License