01 January 2011

The tale of 'the smartly dressed runner with brolly'

Well first of all, Happy New Year.

So today is the first day of Janathon and it was never going to be easy going for a run after a party the night before, but I did.  Off I went in the afternoon along my familiar route, over Maidenhead Bridge and along the Jubilee River.  I have to admit that I was struggling a bit at first, and on and off thereafter.

As I approached the Jubilee River a man got out of a car slightly ahead of me. He was dressed quite smartly in brown trousers and shoes and a light beige jacket, he might have had a tie on too.  He had a neatly collapsed full length brolly that he held midway, horizontally. He was probably late 40s or in his 50s. Well I thought he was going to go for a walk along the Jubilee River but then ... he started running!

Now this gentleman was running maybe a couple of metres in front of me to my left.  His legs were moving but his body was quite vertical and his brolly remained quite perfectly horizontal.  Now you would expect that I (in my snazzy running gear and more electronic gizmos that I would like to admit to) would slip past him effortlessly, but no!  He was running at the same speed as me!! In my defence I had already run 4 miles and I've lost some fitness over the last few weeks but still ... with a brolly ... and dressed like he's going to dinner! 

What to do?  There I was running slightly behind and to the right of a gentleman with brolly and smart attire.  How does that look?  Was I going to run like that for another mile?!?  Would you?  I decided something had to be done. I could either pretend that I'd reached halfway and turn round, which, of course, I had not, I could pretend that my shoelaces (or something or other) needed tieing, I could glance at my watch and slow to a walk as if planned (don't tell me that you've never done this), run with him and take the mirth and mockery or ... simply speed up. Sadly my ego was in control so, I sped up. I did, you'll be pleased to learn, offer him the courtesies due to fellow runners on passing and said a polite 'Hello'. 

Once I had passed him I realised (and panicked a little more than I should admit to) that he might speed up! Alas, we could end up sprinting along Jubilee River through all the New Year's Day walkers like a scene from the marathon run in 'Run Fat Boy Run' - but perhaps even more hilarious (and more damaging to my ego).  Fortunately my ego is intact as I did manage to increase the gap, and when I eventually found an opportunity to glance back, the 'smartly dressed runner with brolly' was nowhere to be seen.

Sadly I do not have a photo of the 'smartly dressed runner with brolly' as my ego shoved out any possible ideas of photojournalism.  On my return I took a photo from the spot where the 'smartly dressed runner with brolly' threatened my ego - a pretty stretch of the Jubilee River isn't it? 


Hmmm, was the 'smartly dressed runner with brolly' a possible Janathon participant squeezing in a quick run?  Do you recognise yourself from the above description?

The rest of the run was fairly uneventful in comparison. It did start raining and I didn't have a jacket two miles from home, not really a problem other than a wet shirt does have tendency of making my, umm, nipples go raw.  I had a slightly embarassing incident once (more embarrassing for my teenage sons) that involved rain, two red streaks on my front (that I was unaware of) and greeting two teenage girls (friends of my sons).  Dads are always embarrassing I know, but sometimes more than other!  Anyway, fortunately my nipples were fine but I was a bit cold.

I'm pleased to say that today's run was 10.12 miles, I'm definitely running slower than I was a month or so ago.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Once I was outrun by an older gentleman in a v-necked sweater, no brolly but still a bit embarassing. And that's a very impressive mileage to start Janathon.

Chris said...

Okay. What's a brolly? I've picked up British but vocab is a bit slower.

Jenks said...

Thank you travellinghopefull, I have to say that I too have been overteken by a number of older folk, some have had what looks like a very painful running style. They don't always look like they are moving fast but then they just motor on ahead - none had a v-neck sweater though.

Jenks said...

Chris a 'brolly' is another name for an umbrella (you use it to shelter under when it rains).

Erin Conley said...

Nice post and start to the Janathon competition. I have also had the "ego" kick in on training runs and in races, especially when I'm being passed by another runner pushing his/her kid(s) in a jogging stroller. It drives me mad every single time! Good luck with Janathon!

Chris said...

Chris a 'brolly' is another name for an umbrella (you use it to shelter under when it rains).

Thanks. that explains why I don't know the word - no one uses them in Holland. too much rain to bother.

Creative Commons License