25 January 2011

Grappling and tiger art

Yesterday a bit of poetry and today some of my son's art but first what I did for Janathon.

I was very pleased to go to the gym with my middle son today.  He cycles to school every day instead of catching the train and regularly goes to the gym so he's very fit ... plus he eats very healthily!  Not bad for a 16 year old.  As I've explained previously, not unusually for a Dad I'm very proud of my three sons - obviously each of them has his strengths and weaknesses. My middle son is very disciplined, but he is also quite an artist.  He said I could show you one of his pieces, it was difficult to decide but here's one ...




Once again at the gym today I was on the treadmill.  To alleviate my boredom I tried to read the subtitles of the 24 hour news but this was a mirror image and I didn't have my glasses on - I gave up!    I wouldn't  risk doing much more than the mileage I have been running recently so today's mileage was 3.6 miles.  My Achilles tendon is a bit sore but it's not getting worse (I hope) so I think I shall probably maintain the status quo.

My average speed was about (perhaps a little under) 7 mph again, maybe a little slower than yesterday as I have a bit of a cold.  I included a few short speed sessions just to stretch a bit.  I've been wearing my heart rate monitor at the gym (when I can find it) just to check that I'm not pushing too much, I hardly ever wear it when I'm running outside.

The cold I've acquired is probably a symptom of visiting the gym. It's ironic that a place where you go to get healthy is such a good place to pick up bugs. Still, it builds up the immune system I suppose.

I went straight from the treadmill to the grappler (rope pull).  I'm very pleased as I grappled for a full 15 minutes - truth is I've been grappling most of my life.  I used one of the interval settings too which made it a little harder.  This is the longest time I've used the rope grappler and I was feeling okay afterwards, I think it might help my swimming.

That was it! Janathon mileage is now about 157 miles. My mileage is not going to increase dramatically but injury happens and subsequently my focus changed. And I'm still enjoying Janathon. 

3 comments:

Chris said...

I am absolutely intrigued by the grappler. But even more important, I am delighted by your son's phenomenal drawing. It's stunning. I'm so glad he allowed you to share it (boys can be funny like that, not wanting to share such a tender piece).

Glad you're running again. I was so pleased that nothing was bugging me on Sunday apart from my own self-inflicted muscle fatigue from the ill-timed leg presses.

Anonymous said...

Fabulous drawing -- even better when clicked to enlarge! Thanks for sharing it and well done Jenks Jr.

Jenks said...

He's a fine artist :-)

Creative Commons License