14 January 2011

The Grappler

My messy desk (it's not normally this messy - honest!)
There you are, a photo of my desk. It will have to do as I can't run.

So what can I do?  Well I am trying to identify muscles that I can exercise that aren't aching. This is a worry because, like yesterday, the bottom half of me is broken and the top half is aching a bit more.  As long as the top half doesn't break before the bottom half is fixed I should be okay.

All this gym work on my upper body is not really me.  I used to look at all the young men doing weights and think, 'tut, tut - you should do some aerobic exercise!' .... now I feel a bit of hypocrite.   

So off to the gym we went.  I can't go by myself so my dear wife came along, she wasn't expecting be exercising quite this much when I started Janathon, she isn't complaining. 

Tonight I changed the program a bit again:

3 sets of 20 tri-cep press
5 minutes on arm pedal thing
3 minutes on grappler (rope pull)
3 sets of 12 lat pull-downs
3 sets of 12 shoulder press
20 x oblique crunch each side
20 x crunch
2 x 1 minute bridge 
Not in that order.  I am trying gym equipment I haven't used before.  I hadn't used the grappler before, it's quite hard work and aerobic.  I used it at the end of my gym session but I shall try using earlier next time. The grappler is a rope pull, I imagine it will be quite good for swimming - but what do I know! 
I'm a bit tired tonight and have some work to do so I shall post this and hope I repair soon.
Janathon mileage is stuck on 140 miles and will be for a while I think.  On a positive note I think Janathon is providing me with an all round workout, I really wasn't expecting that.

5 comments:

Gary Vallance said...

This is great work Jenks - if you want some exercises that'll also help your trail running, ask the gym staff for some "complex" exercises that combine core strengthening with balance and co-ordination. Many can be performed from a sitting, lying or press-up start positions, so are easy on the legs. A strong, balanced core is a key running foundation. Go for it!

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear the leg is still crook. Well done that you are boldly going into new territory in the gym! Grappler sounds good. Hope you are soon firing on all cylinders again.

Angela said...

140 miles is a fantastic achievement, keep up the gym work & you'll soon be fixed. X

auswomble said...

sorry to hear about the bung leg. not a big gym fan these days myself, but that said...if you can get stuck into the cable-pull stuff you won't go fr wrong, imho. Now, naked wednesday you said..hmmm...

Now don't get me wrong, I am not a grammartiian (?) but my big thing is apostrophe abuse. And yes, I know that should have been part of yesterdays post. See what I did there?

Look after yourself, loving your work and commitment. I am blog-read-lite, he confesses...

I overuse the elipse

Jenks said...

Gary: Thanks for the advice Gary.

runtezza: Thanks - I hope so too!

Angela: Thanks, but I'm stuck on 140 miles I'm afraid.

auswomble: I pour words into my blog and then think I better check it, which I do fairly half heartedly. Thanks for the encouragement.

Creative Commons License