17 January 2011

Chaos, books, interleaving and leg exercises



Chaos Walking Series (different covers to ours)


I went to the gym today. Yawn!   BUT ... I did some leg exercises and 15 minutes on the cross trainer :-)

Does your gym have (normally expensive) kit that is rarely used?  Our gym has three Power Plates that are hardly used.  I look at them and think what on earth do you do with that?  Are they any good?  Here is a photo of one. I shall have to give it go.

Power Plate with power woman option attached
I have to say that I've not tried all the equipment in our gym.  I suppose I should work my way round and try a new piece of equipment once a week.

Anyway, I've been really busy today.  I'm presently interleaving three projects which is interesting but I am quite tired by the end of the day.  I've just started reading a new book by Iain Banks called 'Transition', the problem is that it interleaves the stories of a number of characters.  All this interleaving is quite hard going, my brain is starting to feel like sliced bread.

However, as I progress I'm finding that 'Transition' is quite a compelling read (despite the interleaving stories) - we'll see.  I've just finished reading the 'Chaos Walking Trilogy' by Patrick Ness.  It's targeted at teenagers/young adults and was quite a good read.  My youngest son has started reading the first book, it takes a little getting used to but I think he will enjoy the series.  My eldest son read the first book a year or so ago and complained that it was depressing.  I can see why he thought it might be but the series doesn't shy from tackling some fairly adult themes of how society functions during war, touches on genocide and how individuals can make a difference. It is a world where 'almost' all thoughts are visible and how humanity adapts to this new world is the source of the conflict that is a link through the books. 

The three books are a touch disjointed but that's not unusual in a series.  I enjoyed reading them.  I've got carried away and ended up doing a book review - I do enjoy reading though. I also wanted to read these books before encouraging my youngest to read them on account of what my eldest son had said about the first book being depressing.

You know the other book I read not that long ago that interleaves different stories is the 'Cloud Atlas' by David Mitchell.  Again I enjoyed it and it was different but not always easy ... but stop talking about books.

Back to the gym.  As you can see from my workout my leg is healing, yippee!

15 minutes on cross trainer
3 x 20 leg extension
3 x 20 leg curl
3 x 12 shoulder press
3 x 20 tri-cep press
3 x 12 bicep curl
1 x 3 minutes on grappler (rope pull)

So Janathon still has me at 140 miles but hopefully I might start running again ;-)

5 comments:

auswomble said...

would love to have you back, and don't want to get all egg-sucking-nanny on you...ook after yourself and take it easy. I am the world's worst* for thinking "I'm better" and hammering myself too soon. Nice book review, and sounds like you're getting to enjoy the gym bit.

*world's worst is a position shared by me and pretty well everyone else

Chris said...

I like your gym. unusual equipment. I've actually heard good things about the power plate from a body-builder guy I respect. (as opposed to someone trying to sell me one.)

If your boys like sci-fi, try Orson Scott Card, an award winning American science fiction writer - ender's game, speaker for the dead, ender in exile. great stuff, not depressing even though he wrestles with big moral questions. (are all moral questions big?)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the book ideas -- haven't come across them except the Cloud Atlas one (not that I have read it!). That powerplate woman seems to have grown three new legs and four extra arms on the strength of it, so must be worth a shot? Really hope your injury gets better soon, but great work in the gym!

Unknown said...

I loved the chaos walking trilogy... Todd kept me engaged all the way - I was seen harrassing Waterstones staff last May desperately trying to get hold of the final book as I couldn't wait for the internet to deliver it!

Have your boys read the Darren Shan books? They're good...

I'm reading Room at the moment, which I've just started enjoying (it was a bit wierd to start with but I think I'd recommend it now!)

Sorry... you've just found my other love... books! I'm still trying to run a way to run and read at the same time

Jenks said...

auswomble: Thanks, I'd like to be back but I'm assuming it won't be quick.

Chris: I shall try the Power Plate then.
Books sound good, I have noted the author. Are all moral questions big? Good question, they probably are if you stop to consider them.

runtezza: I could do with some extra arms and legs at the moment (myabe just new ones). Thanks.

maggiee: I have to really concentrate when I write your name, too many double letters to write quickly.
A few times reading the Chaos Walking Trilogy briefly warped my own reality (a bit worrying I know). I started expecting 'noise' around me until I told myself to snap out of it.
I love reading too, I'v enoted your recommendations and will ask my sons if they have read Darren Shan. I don't stick to any particular genre, I do enjoy variety and foreign writers (translated of course). I love the way a book can let you see life through another's eyes - it's wonderful.

Creative Commons License