27 January 2011

Sniff! Cough!

Sniff! Cough! Feeling rotten :-(

Well I'm not giving up now but I'm aware I have to be really careful.  I decided that I would not subject other gym goers to my cough and I wasn't sure what I could do there anyway.

Popped on my heart rate monitor and carefully did the following set of exercises making sure my heart rate was low. I did each exercise and then stopped when my heart rate reached about 100 bpm ensuring my heart remeined below 110 bpm.  Then I waited for my heart rate to drop into the 80s. Ended off with some gentle stretching.

I'm sorry there's not much more ...

1 x 25 crunch
1 x 20 oblique crunch each side
1 x 20 reverse curl
1 x 1 minute plank
1 x 1 minute side plank (one each side)
1 x 25 back extension
1 x 25 another abs exercise tha tI don't know the name of!
3 x 20 lateral raise
3 x 15 reverse flye
All followed by gentle stretching

These exercises took about 40 minutes which shows how slowly I was going.  I actually felt better afterwards (and still do).

Janathon miles remain stuck at 157 miles - it woud be nice if it went to 160 miles but we'll see.  Quite a change from the beginning of the month, oh well! 

9 comments:

Cakey said...

Get well soon, Jenks :o)

Unknown said...

You've done well to keep going... injury, illness... and you've not given up... to be commended I think! keep going... only 4 days to go! :-)

Chris said...

two questions - what's the deal with waiting for the HR to drop?


And side plank - on elbow or palm?

Gary Vallance said...

You may not be entering February any fitter than a month ago, but it sounds like your "determination gland" has responded well to the training. Hang in there Jenks!

JL said...

Great stuff, Jenks - good to see you're still at it! If I ever manage a minute side-plank I will be a very happy bunny!
Take care,
Jules (@2011miles)

Erin Conley said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your cold! Hang in there --- four days to go, and you've done such a fabulous job throughout Janathon. Take it easy and you'll get to the 31st in no time at all!

Jenks said...

@K, like in caKe
Thanks, I will
@maggiee
Thanks Maggie.
@Chris
1) I was trying to keep my heartrate lower and reduce overall exersion. I'm not particularly good at this as I tend to push myself so I worked out a heartrate range that I felt comfortable with. If I had continued without allowing my heartrate to drop then my heartrate (and temperature) would continue to increase and I didn't want that to happen. In short, it gave me some targets!
2) Elbow last night although I do change according to how I feel and how many arm/shoulder exrcises I've done :-)
@Gary Vallance
Thanks Gary, I've never been to the gym quite as much ... I'm looking forward to running again. Learnt quite a bit about myself over the last month.
@Jules Thanks Jules.
@Erin C
The running snow woman :-) Thanks.

What a brilliant group of people you are ;-) How can you fail with support like this ... and I haven't met any of you!

Anonymous said...

Excellent set of exercises -- I'm particularly taken by the one with no name! You've made me determined to work a bit more on my core in the next few months. Hope the cold and cough go home soon, but keep warm in this weather. Well done on your socially responsible approach to infection control (seriously!).

Jenks said...

@runtezza
Thanks, you've been doing a stirling job with all the running.

Creative Commons License