07 January 2011

Wet, very wet and tired, but I got there ... 100 miles :-)

See! Wet and mud!
Wet!  First run in the morning was wet!  Dog was wet! I was wet!  See photo of wet with slippery mud. 7 miles of wet, wet , wet.

More wet and mud!


 Afternoon it cleared :-) dried all my clothes :-) :-) Started running after dry weather has been around for hours, 10 minutes into my run and ... wet!  I get wet all by myself too!  To top it all, a big bus sprays me with more wet! Wet, wet, wet! 10ish miles of wet (but no mud) and I'm so hungry!  Everything is wet ... wet, wet, wet and it's dark and I'm cold and I'm hungry! NO it's not just wet, I'm drenched!


A variation - wet dog walking in mud and wet temporarily ceased to remind you how nice it was when it wasn't wet ... before the wet starts again!

But 4 miles left - 4 miles to get to a hundred miles. Sigh! I can't stop now, I might never do this again.  It's wet outside, and darker, and colder but most of all it's wet .... but I'm so tired, I want to go to sleep, I've had a nice dinner. It's warm inside and so cold outside ... and wet!!!  But it's only 4 miles ... sigh!  But I'm not putting wet clothes back on, and I will find a pair of older 'dry' running shoes ...

 



... I did it :-)  About 4.5 miles.  And it was dry too!  Although dodging the puddles in the dark with my headtorch was hard going (not all our roads have streetlights). Total rounded up to 101 miles.



100 miles in a week - I'm very pleased with that.  Once I thought I might do it, I decided that I would try and do it early on in case I developed and injury or fell sick. I've bagged it, 100 miles in a week :-) 

Assuming nothing goes wrong, I'm pretty sure that Gary of Local Adventures will win as he seems to be taking the mileage in his stride - very impressive.   Kevin of ...musing...  has little ones, that's exhausting on it's own!  I remember how hard having little ones was, teenagers can be difficult but little ones ...  brilliant fun though, but so are teenagers (sometimes).  I'm very proud of all three of my sons despite the moaning - grumpy middle age man that I am :-(  Well, maybe I'm not that grumpy.

Me? I'm certainly not stopping but I might slow down a bit, see how I feel. I don't use my age as an excuse but I do find if I'm injured it does seem to take a little longer for my body to repair itself. Am I competitive? My 13 year old certainly is! I don't think that I'm that competitive, the goals I have set so far have been my own. Like Kevin I'm really surprised at my mileage so far - I never dreamed I could run so far in one week.  I guess I haven't run that fast but that's okay.

Total so far, 100 miles (over 160 km)  :-)

9 comments:

buryblue said...

Wow a 100 miles in a week are you planning to continue at that level for the rest of Jan ? I will be happy with a 100 for the month !

Rosieblue said...

so it was slightly wet then? :)

@angebhart said...

Holy smokes! 100 miles in a week? Wow. Excellent work! Not in my wildest dreams could I do that. I am simply amazed!

Gary Vallance said...

Jenks, you're a legend. I love the attitude, your commitment to "clear" 100 (and not just nudge up against it) speaks volumes. When I got in from my run tonight, and saw our totals up on the board, I gave us both a round of applause. Great to be in such esteemed company - Gary

Unknown said...

That is absolutely amazing! At first I was thinking that must include running AND cycling surely! But just running! Blimey! Not in a month of Sunday's could I do that... well actually especially not then as then there wouldn't acutally be a week... but you know what I mean!!

Well done!! :-)

auswomble said...

stunning performance, but it does look like you swam the last few miles!

Anonymous said...

wowee, well done. is the dog the top dog in the mileage stakes?

JogBlog said...

Nutter.

Jenks said...

buryblue: I'd love to but I fear I'm falling apart!

Rosieblue: Oh yes, peel your clothes off wet, sopping, sopping.

@angebhart: Thank you.

Gary: Thanks Gary. Legend? I'm feeling old today ... I might end up being a legend, myth. a fleeting week of madness that I wouldn't change. Your company is likewise esteemed and I applaud you onwards, I'm slowing down ;-) well, not slowing but maybe not doing as many miles (if I slowed any more I'd be walking)

magiee: Thanks for commending my madness :-)

auswomble: 'doggy paddled' more like! Thanks.

jumbojanathon: He might well be, I don't take him on all my runs as he doesn't really like running on tarmac. He's a lovely dog, very friendly, very good with kids, quiet, not agressive and doesn't bother runners, cyclists, horses or anaything really.

JogBlog: The truth is out! I know, I know but I can’t help it!!

Creative Commons License