23 January 2011

A sleepy dog, teenage attire and the word 'solipsism'

Both my oldest sons have exams tomorrow and they have been studying in the kitchen where are dog lives.  He's very pleased to have their company but my sons do stay up late, and our poor dog is looking a little tired.  Poor chap is just not used to the late nights - waking him up in the morning is like having a fourth teenager :-)

Talking of teenagers, I (like many other adults) have a thing about these low slung trousers that reveal underpants. If you've ever seen a toddler walking around with a wet nappy that's seeped through to his pants, well if left the pants start to hang and effectively become 'low slung' owing to gravity and heavier pee soaked pants.  As the pants start to drop, the poor thing can't walk properly and can only walk from below the knees - remember that picture the next time you see a teenage boy with low slung jeans. I have three teenage sons and they are not the biggest offenders ... but they still do, sigh!

So (because I'm not finished yet) yesterday when Dad (me) is looking for a clean shirt for the gym and wanders downstairs with the belt of his jeans undone and maybe just one button of his button fly undone with (please note reader) a shirt on and (the most important note) no underpants showing whatsoever and in my own house, my own house with no visitors!  What do my eldest two sons say, 'Dad please don't wander around with your trousers undone' !!!!!!  This said in a critical and disparaging tone ... and ... and not a hint, a smidgen of the irony!  (Sorry about the exclamation marks.) Need I say any more ... other than sigh! I still love 'em.

I learnt a new word today (I guess I might have known it once but I'm too old to remember):

sol·ip·sism

–noun
1.
Philosophy . the theory that only the self exists, or can be proved to exist.
2.
extreme preoccupation with and indulgence of one's feelings, desires, etc.; egoistic self-absorption.

So back to exercise and all that stuff ...


My youngest son (13) enjoyed his first visit to the gym today and next week they are going to write a plan for him that will complement his dancing.  Also, we are both scheduled for an induction next weekend on the ... Powerplates!  I figured it made sense to have a little help to get the most out of this vibrating contraption, and it is fun to learn with my son - when I'm not embarrassing him.

So about today, today I ran 5.2 miles at 7mph on the treadmill.  A bit of a twinge from my Achilles tendon but I'm going to take it each day at a time.  I'm not sure I can tolerate much more than 5 miles on a treadmill!!  I guess I'm not sure my tendon can take much more either and the treadmill is gentler than the outdoors. Other than a bit of stretching, that was it.

Janathon total is a touch over 150 miles - my goals have changed and I am feeling mildly positive.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Here's hoping that your achilles improves and mildly positive will return to extrememly positive! Loving your sons' reactions... you can always count on a teenager's unwarranted embarassment of your behaviour, even in the safety of your own home! Good work on the gym and treadmill running :-)

Anonymous said...

Good job on the treadmill miles -- you will end up with the mental toughness of a Zen master at this rate. Like you I am amazed at the half mast trouser look -- if nothing else surely it makes the wearer less agile and impedes routine movement like going up and down stairs? (a bit like running come to think of it)

Creative Commons License