31 January 2011

Janathon complete ... lots of firsts and lots of thanks

I decided that I would take my youngest son to the gym and run on the treadmill for the duration of his gym program ... and did just that :-)

I just wanted to end Janathon running, even if it was on a treadmill.  I ran 7.2 miles at an average speed of about 7mph.  You get a few looks when you stay on the treadmill that long!  I didn't know how my head managed it really as it really is a bit mindless.

Final Janathon total appears to be 167 miles :-)    (sorry about all the smiles)

Janathon has been a great experience:

I've run more miles in one week than ever before.
My dog has run more miles in one week than ever before!!
I've made more trips to the gym in one month than ever before.
I've blogged more frequently in one month than ever before.
I've probably read and commented on more blogs than ever before.
I think it's the first time I've blogged about my running.
I've sent my first Tweet - only one though.
I've tried out new gym equipment for the first time.
I've had my first Achilles tendon injury (well it's a first).

and ....

I've been fortunate enough to have shared Janathon with a superb group of people. 

At the beginning of Janathon I was thoroughly enjoying the madness that Gary and Auswomble inspired me to greedily eat miles at a rate I suspected my body might disagree with.  Would I have started out more cautious had I known I was going to get an injury, honestly ... possibly, but that would never happen and I loved it.  It wasn't about what my body could manage, I wanted to see what my head could manage.  I know now that I could do some high mileage with a bit more training (and possibly a new body).

The injury is interesting as I have always had one foot that sticks out more than the other.  Over the years I've tried to correct it but it's always been there.  This might be the root of the problem and I will probably see if anything can be done.  I didn't think it would affect my running, I did have an insert put into my ski boots so this might be the solution for running.

I think there has been some discussion about awarding prizes next time.  Personally, I didn't push at the beginning because of the prizes and I'm not sure that they are needed.  On the other hand having prizes is fun too.  As a suggestion, perhaps the prizes might be distributed using a draw amongst all those that completed Janathon successfully - just a thought.

I am in awe of Gary, what an achievement! But I am also inspired by the runners in deep snow (see Yes, I'm Still Running...), the extreme heat such as Auswomble or in the middle of exams I run for cake!

Not forgetting those who have just started running, want to get fit, want to lose weight, training for a first race, marathon or 2011 miles ....  or just want some help to run outside in the cold and wet.  Every blog and every runner has a different story and all inspired in a different way.  In one month you could read about a new baby and sadly about a bereavement.  I regularly read blogs from as far afield as Manchester and also the Netherlands, New York and Australia - pretty amazing really.  I loved the way that running speed didn't segregate runners.  Thank you for sharing your running and a glimpse of your lives during Janathon.  A big thank you to Cathy and her team - Cathy you are a real gem and you deserve a medal.

Finally, I asked about vegetarian meals and had some very helpful feedback - thanks guys.  Runtezza wrote out a favourite recipe and posted it!  You are an absolute star, have a look at http://runtezza.wordpress.com/2011/01/31/vegetarian-recipe-4-u/ I will be making this dish, thanks.

I'm hoping to keep this blog updated, anybody else going to keep on blogging ... but maybe not every day?

7 comments:

Cakey said...

Well done! Happy Jan 31st to you!

kathryn said...

What a fabulous list of firsts that is . . . apart from the injury of course. It has been amazing reading all the different blogs, experiences and running conditions hasn't, the best part of Janathon for me.

Chris said...

I'm not sure which I like more. Writing or reading comments about my writing..... I'll keep writing and running. I have a great season of excitement planned. And that includes the purchase of a chalk bag. Thanks for your continual support this past month. It's been nice to get to know your :>)

Unknown said...

All of which very well said! Well done for your superb Janathon achievement... keep blogging, as I'll keep reading... I've a marathon to complete yet!! :-)

Anonymous said...

Blimey 7 miles in an hour - awesome after 31 days of running - well done. And yes, I'm going to carry on logging but probably not every day!

JL said...

Great to see you finish the month with a run! don't worry about the treadmill queue: they'd probably have been walking-while-holding-the-handrails types anyway!
Keep up the blogging - will be interested to read how your year goes...
Cheers,
Jules

Anonymous said...

you are so right about everyone being insipired in different ways. how wonderful! keep blogging and we'll keep reading! great to meet you yesterday

Creative Commons License