18 January 2011

Running robots, treadmills and bugs

Asimo - the first running robot although he runs a bit like I run at the moment


I would quite like to do some robotic engineering and watching the episode on robots from James May's Big Ideas series reminded me of that. Have you seen Asimo run?  However, right now I have a bug in one of my designs and it's getting to me a bit - I find it difficult to think of robotic engineering when I'm stuck on a design problem, oh well!

My background in engineering is in designing and developing equipment for broadcast but over the years I've designed electronics, systems and software in just about every industry, from research, to hardware and software for satellites, medical electronics, aerospace, semiconductors right through to consumer electronics and even electronics for plumbing!  Right now our company is working on quite a range of products so I'm kept pretty busy - particularly on that bug!!!

I have a great deal of video and audio compression experience, and have worked on portable integrated systems. Consequently I have often thought that the ideal system for a runner with ipod, GPS etc.  has not been developed.  In my mind I have slowly been putting together this 'ideal' system for the runner.  But that is the problem, what I think is important and 'ideal' is probably not what others see as important. What would be interesting is to hear what other runners find irritating or good about the gadgets they use.  Perhaps what would be your ideal feature no matter how outlandish!  I'm not saying that I will design it but then it's not out of the question.

Anyway, back to the gym tonight and .... I went on the treadmill.  I ran 1.5 miles :-)   I think my leg is okay too.  I find treadmill running boring and I'm not very good at looking up and watching the TV monitors at the same time - perhaps I put the treadmill on too fast?  In our gym nobody puts on the safety line for treadmill, I don't all the time but if I'm running fast I do, but I'm not sure I've seen anybody else use them. Why is that?  Why do we tend to shun safety devices?  Is it cultural or do all humans behave this way? There just seems to be a pressure 'not' to take safety precautions, interesting.

But treadmill running is running all the same and I'm feeling happier (except for that bug).  I don't think treadmill running counts towards Janathon mileage?  I haven't included it.

Here is my gym session, you will notice that I also did two lots of  '5' minutes on the grappler, that was really hard going and I had to reattach my shoulder afterwards!

5 minutes on cross trainer
1.5 miles treadmill (increasing speed 6.5mph to 9mph)
2 x 5 minutes on grappler (rope pull)
3 x 20 leg extension
3 x 20 leg curl
25 x crunch
25 x oblique crunch each side
25 x reverse curl
1 x 1 minute plank
2 x 1 minute side plank (one each side)
 
Janathon mileage still 140 miles but who knows when I might have a little run?  And it was soooo sunny today plus a beautiful clear night and the moon looked wonderful earlier.  Did I tell you one of my other interests is astronomy, but time for bed .... I might have a look at the bug before though, sigh!

4 comments:

Chris said...

personally, i would count a treadmill run. did both your feet leave the ground? then it's a run.

and I didn't see the plate thing on your list of exercises. was there a long line to use it or something?

Jenks said...

I wouldn't want to upset anybody. Maybe I should ask Cathy.

Oh dear, the plate thing ... it requires effort and time to figure out how to use it. I could end up looking a right plonker standing on a vibrating plate with puzzled expression on my face, I do have a bit of an ego you know :-) But I will try it and I will ask the gym people how best to use it.

Gary Vallance said...

I say add the treadmiles. They've got to be as demanding as regular miles (there are all those mirrors for starters!).

Anonymous said...

Good miles. Keep em coming...

Creative Commons License