08 January 2011

Blue skies but still not good :-(

The Jubilee River half way through my run.
Backing off the mileage as from tomorrow, maybe.  I think I'm fighting off a bug, resting heart rate is up a little - oh well.  A bit of rest might be in order ... and my knee's a sore.  Too old for this. I haven't been running that long either, about three years now - wonderful asthma drug made the difference.

However, I am planning to go for a short run with Mrs Jenks tomorrow :-)

Did a ten mile run today, why?  A bit sad really but I wanted my Garmin Training Centre week mileage to be a hundred miles - just for me.

Back to my run ...


What I woke up to, the green across the road.
Woke up to a blue sky - happy, happy man.  See photo ->

Not feeling brilliant, head says run, body says no ...
... body, head argument ...
... more body, head argument ...

Go for run, slowly, stopping at regular intervals.

End up running behind lady who I'd normally pass.  Lady happens to be following my route, realise she might be getting worried with strange man staggering behind her!  Don't want to pass her but don't want to stop, she takes a different route - phew!

Then ... 'runner's runs', yipes!  Do I stop?  No, can't see anywhere. Control, focus, mind over ... uh, well, you know.  Keep going, stopping every so often, glancing at watch as if it's planned (very sad).  Focus, control, get to halfway and see top photo. 

By this time mind has done its job, remarkably, tentative relief.  Body still not happy though, so still no speed.
Another photo of the Jubilee River.

Run (jog) (stagger) past pretty young lady on horse.  Smile at her, she ignores me! Irritation, I was bestowing runner's courtesy she probably thinks otherwise, grrr. I've been happily married for almost 25 years, I really don't need this.

<- Take another photo, feel better.

Back over Maidenhead Bridge so I take another photo, see below.





The Thames from Maidenhead Bridge

Reached 10 miles, Garmin Training Centre is happy ... body isn't. I should rest and recover, I'll see how I feel tomorrow ...

111 Janathon miles (feels much, much more than that)

6 comments:

Chris said...

gorgeous photos. how did you get the sun to come out? please pass on any tips.

Unknown said...

I think you might be mad!! My body would have given up on me in a crumpled heap by now! I am, once again, impressed! I always use the strategy of staring hard at passing runners/cyclists/horse riders with an inane grin on my face until they reciprocate... I think most of them do simply because they're worried what the maniacal grimacing woman will do to them if they don't! :-)

kathryn said...

I love your photos, particularly that last one. Well done on your first week of Janathon.

Sean Blair said...

111 miles i 8 days - good work! - I'm SO behind you... I've spent 5 days of the last 8 with my son (who mostly lives with his mum) so that has slowed me down a bit, but respect to you, - at this rate you'll be near to 400! look after your body and enjoy the running - cheers Sean

Anonymous said...

if you already have a garmine you don't need the Janathon one. Slow down and let us catch up!! Only kidding. I was sort of pleased to hear about your runners runs cos I had my first experience of them today and I was really hoping it wasn't my homemade tikka. I think it wasn't. Well done on your Janathon century.

Jenks said...

Chris: All my puffing and panting blows the clouds away!
maggiee: I think I've run past you! :-)
kathryn: Thanks
Sean: Family have to come first so you've got it right. I'm not sure about 400 miles, I'm not sure about tomorrow with my knee. Thanks Sean.
nick192: You're right about the Garmin but no way I'm coming first. Wouldn't mind a place in the London Marathon though. Runners runs ... I've tried everything but sometimes ... I've always managed. It did mess up my last Half Marathon a little - oops, bad choice of words there :-)

Creative Commons License