28 January 2011

Gym Ball Extravaganza

The encouraging comments I had after yesterday's post really helped - thanks guys :-)

Not sniffing as much and cough is getting better.  I thought I might run out of inhalers (Symbicort) as I use it more when I have a cough, I certainly wouldn't have had enough for the weekend.  Took me ages to get through to the doctor, eventually got through and all sorted.  It's amazing how much the inhaler helps me recover from a cough compared to in the past.

My doctor wouldn't let me scuba dive last year as I had used my reliever inhaler (sabutamol, blue case) sometimes during high intensity swimming lessons.  I was most frustrated as if I hadn't been exercising I'd not have used it occasionally at these times.  Anyway, I decided that I would have to change my regime and used my other inhaler a little more often than previously (morning and night), this did the trick.  Subsequently I haven't used the reliever inhaler and so I should get the okay from our doctor next time I want to go scuba diving - I do carry it with me when I go running though.  The other way this has helped is that I seem to get over coughs much, much faster.
 

REEBOK Core Gymball - 65cm (With Pump and DVD)



Back to exercising ...
I decided that I'd keep away from the gym tonight although I'm probably out of the contagious side.  I'm hoping to take my youngest son to the gym tomorrow as we have an induction on the Powerplates and he is having an exercise plan written up.  I expect I should be okay but I won't over exert. So for a change I decided I'd work with a gym ball at home.

I haven't used the gym ball in ages so first thing was to find it, I looked everywhere and eventually found it in the loft.  Then the thing needed pumping up, I must confess that I used a little electric pump to get so far but then it couldn't manage anymore.  So out came the hand pump, put the ball between my legs and started pumping.  I have to say that I was pleased that I wasn't in a public place! Naturally, I would have found this a lot easier when I was younger - my arms were pretty tired afterwards.

I then had to look up some gym ball exercises.  I kept having to run up and down the stairs to check if I was doing each exercise correctly.  Some of the exercises I found quite difficult, as indicated in the list. It was a good session and my heart rate was lower than last night (even after going up and down the stairs).  I still tried not to over exert and I didn't do any exercises that hurt my Achilles tendon.

This was all followed by a thorough session of stretching from one of Matt Robert's books.

The session:
..........................
All exercises using a gym ball (except running up and down the stairs and stretching)

Pumping the gym ball up first., phew!
25 x basic crunch
25 x core crunch
25 x back extension
20 x elevated push-up
10 x balanced push-up (difficult)
1 x 1 minute plank (easier on ball)
25 x side crunch each side
25 x opposite limb extension each side
20 x abdominal rolls (phew)
25 x bent knee bridge
10 x twisting prone jack-knife each side (difficult)

Also include running up and down the stairs to check on my computer if I'm doing the exercise correctly!
Followed by gentle stretching.

I did try the odd exercise that I gave up on for various reasons.
..........................

I will need to work on the exercises I struggled with.  Janathon total is the same, 157 miles.  Feeling better and feeling happier.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I was reading about the exercise ball thinking 'running up and down stairs is exercise too'... glad you counted that! Hope your son's gym session went well and glad to hear you're feeling a bit better :-)

Chris said...

I laughed out loud with step one being find the medicine ball. too true about home workouts.

Chris said...

oops. i meant gym ball. coffee hasn't kicked in yet.

Jenks said...

@maggiee
My youngest son's gym session went very well today, he's very keen :-)
@Chris
It's so hard finding th equipment around our house. The weights go missing too ... they're almost always in my sons rooms!

Creative Commons License