16 January 2012

#Janathon Day 16 - Garmin had a flat and poo parcels

Monday morning and I looked outside and, if I'm honest, I made enough excuses or created enough deviations so I didn't have to run in the icy cold ... wimp? Yes, I think so.  I decided that lunchtime was the best time for a run.

Lunchtime came ... and went, I was too busy on debugging a new design (i.e. work was getting in the way of running, a bad state of affairs really).  I had a breakthrough with my work and thought, 'I better go for that run', picked up my Garmin and blank screen! The battery was not charged as I hadn't fitted the charging clip on correctly.  What to do?  I decided I'd charge it for as long as possible and delay my run just long enough so I came home in the light (I was taking a late lunch break plus all the rest of the time I was working). 

My Garmin was partially charged so decided to risk it.  Set off ... running shoes not right (I think they're wearing at the the back, new Innov8s me thinks), adjusted them and went a few more metres, adjusted them again and started off hoping I wouldn't get a blister (I've never actually had a blister running).  Then Fleet decided he need a poo, sigh, bagged poo and left strategically for return pick up.  Rest of first half of run was very pleasant. 

On the way back (i.e. just past the halfway point) Fleet 'encouraged' me to try a path I hadn't been down before ... we got lost!  Eventually found my way out of a maze of roads and started running home.  'Beep, beep' went the Garmin, battery low.  Oh dear, what was I going to do? Perhaps try and run faster and get home before the Garmin battery runs out. But I'm tired, sigh, run faster, started running faster. Fleet loves this but he can now run faster than I can, so I had to keep up, so running faster than I was expecting. Identify a cycle to my running:

Run faster! Briefly feel good (for running faster)! Get puffed! Getting cold! Getting dark! Too tired for this! But Garmin battery draining! So ...
Run faster! Briefly feel good (for running faster)! Get puffed! Getting cold! Getting dark! Too tired for this! But Garmin battery draining! So ...
Run faster! Briefly feel good (for running faster)! Get puffed! Getting cold! Getting dark! Too tired for this! But Garmin battery draining! So ...
etc.

It was really starting to get quite dark and cold, brrr.  My hands were starting to freeze despite having gloves on. Picked up poo parcel but soon after my Garmin went blank (as expected). Fortunately it was close to home so I was able to estimate the remaining distance fairly easily. Arrived home and took a long while to warm up despite having hot shower. But, solved problem on my design :-)

Total mileage today was 9.6 miles.

So that makes my Janathon total 121 miles and Fleet's must be about 68 miles ( he doesn't actually care).

3 comments:

Gary Vallance said...

I have "spurs" on both my heel bones, so running shoes want to rub, particularly the close fitting or lower slung variety (like Inov8s). I remove the sculpted insole, and replace with flat one so my foot sits a little lower, which means I can tie a "runner's lock" in my laces (see image), and my heels stay put. This could be worth a try if your heels are shifting.

http://www.fieggen.com/Dont_Link/LockLacing2.jpg

Anonymous said...

I bet Fleet does care really! Great mileage and glad you sorted the design problem (wasn't while you were running was it?)

Jenks said...

@Gary My heels are okay just a bit of wear I think - I probably should clean up my ruuning shoes more often, a lot of mud in our porch at the moment. I've only ever had blisters walking, never running. Running shoes better today though, I use the locklacing method only because the shoes came laced that way :-)

@runtezza Thanks. I certainly thought up a good test that led to a solution, I do often solve problems running. Design is coming on well, it's a piece of medical equipment.

Creative Commons License