05 January 2012

#Janathon Day 5 - the pigeon shooters and running round the field dilemma!

So I keep thinking I should run around the field again. This is a route I did for quite a while until I was confronted by a camouflaged man with an air rifle in the neighbouring field about a week ago. He told me that the route I was taking was not a public right of way and they were shooting pigeons which was about the moment I spotted another camouflaged man in what looked like a very professional sniper pose ... probably shooting pigeons. I had obviously disturbed the pigeons in my fluorescent jacket and with my eager dog. They looked like they wanted to be soldiers, and they had guns so I didn't argue. I also thought they might be the owners of the field but I'm not sure now, as there is a gun shop that backs onto the field they were in.

I know it's not a public right of way but houses back onto it and I do no damage. The only rubbish I've ever seen was a pile of empty cartridges. If I knew who owned the farm I'd ask them if they wouldn't mind me running round their field. I think I might have spoken to the farmer a few months back when I found a dead swan in a stream in the vicinity, but I'm not sure and I don’t have the number anymore. Do you think i should risk it again and stuff the bird shooters, who have guns, and who are probably wannabe soldiers?!

I don't know why shooting birds is considered a sport. When I was about fourteen I shot a little bird with an air rifle. I remember looking at the bird and feeling ashamed and sad, I never shot anything again. From what I've read it's not even a very good method of controlling the pigeon population.

I also thought they should have had a flag or something up to let people know that they were shooting as there are houses nearby?

The question is, should I run round the field again? I'd actually quite like to wind the wannabe soldiers up but I don't want to annoy the farmer!

I've got that off my chest. In other news my son didn't get an offer for Cambridge but he tried is best and will probably go to Birmingham, even if he receives and offer from Imperial. I'm very proud of him :-)

Oh yes, I went running with my dog again today, 8.2 miles. He enjoyed it but is a bit fed up with aggressive dogs!

My total Janathon mileage is now 37 miles and Fleet's is about 15 miles.

Got to go now, hope this has no errors ...

3 comments:

RossA said...

I remember going shooting with a friend and his dad when I was young. Not sure if we ever hit anything though!

Good mileage - jealous at all these good runners! :-) I'm using the excuse that it was new shoes today for my 1 mile jaunt!

Anonymous said...

Well done your son. Birmingham is a great place to be a student, and a fantastic place to run. I'll look out for him on the towpath!

Jenks said...

@RossA I'm not a good runner, more of a plodder :-)

@runtezza I shall have to get him running again, he keeps fit with cycling and the gym - he is actually very disciplined (and runs faster than me). Birmingham does look a good university, do you live close to the uni? I know you work for the OU, do you also teach at Birmingham Uni?

Creative Commons License